People attending people
Arrels is an entity which since 1987 has been devoted to the attention of homeless people in the city of Barcelona. We have accompanied through all these years more than 9.000 homeless people in their path towards autonomy, offering them housing, meals, social attention and health care.
To do our work, we need confidence, time and a lot of support. Professionals, volunteers and people attended become part of a team that shares a claim: Nobody sleeping on the street!
What do we want?
Since 1987 our objective is:
- Attending homeless people who face the most consolidated phases of social exclusion so that they can be as autonomous as possible again.
- Raising awareness among citizens about the reality of homeless people.
- Reporting unfair situations and making suggestions to help transform the reality of social exclusion.
How do we work?
We attend homeless people with daily contact and experience, tackling situations, but also their causes, with an integral approach.
We are an entity where everybody collaborates. Homeless people provide knowledge through their experience and critical view, the volunteers team makes it possible to rebuild bonds with the most vulnerable people and the professionals add their technical skills and the continuity of the processes.
We like finding out about projects and initiatives from other countries aimed at homeless people to learn new methods of intervention and adapt them.
Arrels team is formed by volunteers, people attended and a contracted team that guarantees the working of the entity. We count on the support of 47 contracted people, 400 volunteers and 4.000 contributors who make the running of different intervention programs possible.
We do networking aiming to…
- Influence the improvement of specific laws and social policies regarding to the situation of homeless people.
- Make an impact on social policies in order to highlight the importance of social exclusion prevention.
- Establish agreements and relationships with other entities, associated networks, specialists, civil servants and the rest of society.
Result of this networking…
- We have elaborated material on a European level to promote the participation of homeless people and we take part every year in the drafting of reports about the reality of homeless people in Europe.
- We draw up reports about the reality of homeless people in Barcelona, along with other entities of the Barcelona City Council.
- We have participated in the making up of the Inclusion Plan of Barcelona and the City Council Intervention Plan of Barcelona City Council.
To make it possible, Arrels coordinates with entities and organisations on a neighbourhood, autonomous, state and European level, working with Feantsa, the Network of Attention to Homeless people in Barcelona and the Housing Agency of Catalonia, among others.
The budget for 2014 was 2.955.789,29 euros.
- Public funding: 40%
- Private funding: 60%
The biggest part of our income (40,39%) comes thanks to the altruistic contributions of people that provide a wide and safe social base that enables us to intervene without conditions.
73,45% of the budget in 2014 was invested in direct support for homeless people, especially in the area of covering housing needs. 10,29% of the budget was used to organise campaigns of raising awareness and political impact and 16,26% was used to ensure the overheads were maintained.