- Currently, around 400 volunteers dedicate at least one morning or one evening a week to collaborate in the different services and departments of the organization. Arrels is a volunteer organization and without the volunteer team, we would not be able to open the doors in the morning. Become a volunteer.
- About thirty people who are living or have lived on the street participate in maintenance and logistics tasks, give lectures to and educate groups of young people, collaborate in the porter’s office and the Open Centre’s wardrobe, etc.
- The working team is composed of 64 people: educators, social workers, lawyers, nurses, communications professionals, computer experts, experts in financing, maintenance and logistics technicians, etc.
Areas of action
- Street team and first reception
They walk around Barcelona’s streets getting in touch with homeless people and establishing a first contact with them. Once they arrive at the center, homeless people can receive first care. They can receive some orientation, accompaniment and essential services such as showers, our wardrobe, pharmacy, cloakroom, and mail receiving facility.
- Individual support team
They look after people linked with the organization in an individualised way. They work so that people can have their essential needs filled and find decent housing. Our goal is to strengthen people’s autonomy.
- Workshop team: La Troballa
They work alongside other workshop participants to improve coexistence, recovering old habits and creating home-made products.
- Pere Barnés home team
They give a residential space to homeless people and to those in poor health, with the goal that they can recover mentally and physically.
- Hospital team
They give logistical and practical support to people who are linked to the organization where they are registered. They are also concerned with relocation once they recover from their their hospitalisation.
- Residence team
They accompany people who have been assisted by Arrels so they can have access to a proper home according to their needs to make their settlement easier.
- Juridical care team
They give advice and deal to people who are linked to the entity, denounce cases of discrimination or violence, revise the rules related to homeless people and manages the legal aspects of the entity.
- Psychological support team
They provide individual and group therapy for people who live or have lived on the street and who are linked to the organization.
Awareness and political action
This represents some 9.91% of Arrels’ budget.
- Communications and awareness team
Their task is to inform and educate citizens and mass media about the problems of homelessness, Arrels’ work and how to collaborate to make our goal possible #nobodysleeepingonthestreet.
- Social and political incidence team
They work online with other entities and administrations to revise and improve the social policies currently in place.
Internal management and voluntary work
This department makes up the entity’s structure and represents 13.35% of Arrels’ budget.
- Internal management team
They work on different areas -computing, human resources, associates and donors, administration and finances- to guarantee the proper functioning and the continuity of the organization.
- Maintenance team
They work to keep all the organization’s centers in good condition: the Open Centre, the Pere Barnés home, La Troballa workshop, Flat Zero, the Sant Antoni flat and individual and shared flats of the entity.
- Volunteer work management team
Their task is to coordinate one of Arrels’ mainstays: volunteers from different spaces and services, their tasks and their needs.
Senior management team
Arrels’ senior management team gives support to the director in making executive decisions on behalf of the entity. They always focus on the mid and long term.
It is composed of:
- Alfredo Pascual, who lived on the street.
- Xavier Gimferrer, volunteer.
- Esther Meya, volunteer.
- Paola Contreras, who is in charge for the voluntary work management.
- Ester Sànchez, who is in charge for the person’s supporter team.
- Marta Pulgar, who is responsible for the communications team.
- Ramon Noró, who is responsible for the political and social incidence.
- Beatriz Fernández, who is responsible of the internal management team.
- Ferran Busquets, Arrels’ director.
Patronage is the main executive body of Arrels. They are in charge of drawing the strategic lines on the mid and long term for Arrels. The body is composed of people from different professional areas. They look after every action so they follow the mission, vision and values of the organization.
Currently it is composed of:
- President: Josetxo Ordóñez.
Lawyer, lecturer of the department of Applied Economics in the UAB and member of the Plataforma d’Entitats Cristianes amb els Immigrants.
- Secretary: Maria Iglesias.
Graduate in Administration and Business Management. Currently, she is the director of employability of the Fundació Nous Cims.
- Spokesperson: Mª Carmen de la Fuente. Director of the Fundació Migra Studium.
Coordinator of the entities of the Social Area of the Companyia de Jesús en Catalunya.
- Spokesperson: Enric Gotanegra.
He was an Arrels’ worker in the care team of associates and donors and currently he is a volunteer in the entity’s street team.
- Spokesperson: Eduard Sala.
Graduate in the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters and social educator. Currently, he is a coach, a trainer, and he is in charge of the Área Social de Cáritas Diocesana de Barcelona.
- Spokesperson: Miquel Fuster.
- Spokesperson: Teresa Bermudez.
- Spokesperson: Montserrat Lamoglia.
- Spokesperson: Francesc Mateu.