- Currently, around 400 volunteers dedicate, at least, one morning or one evening a week to collaborate in the different services and departments of the entity. Arrels is a voluntary entity and without the voluntary team we would not be able to open the doors in the morning. Become a volunteer.
- About thirty people who are living or have lived on the street participate in maintenance and logistics tasks, give lectures and sensibilize groups of young people, collaborate in the porter’s office, and in the wardrobe of the entity, etc.
- The working team is composed of 64 people: educators, social workers, lawyers, nurses, communications professionals, computer experts, experts in financing, maintenance and logistics technicians, etc.
Areas of action
- Street team and first reception
They walk around Barcelona’s streets getting in touch with homeless people and creating a first contact with them. Once they arrive at the center, homeless people can receive first care. They can receive some orientation, accompaniment and essential services such as showers, our wardrobe, pharmacy, cloakroom, and mail receiving facility.
- Individual support team
They look after people linked with the entity in an individualised way. They work so that people can have their essential needs filled and agree on having decent housing. Our goal is to strengthen people’s autonomy.
- Workshop team: La Troballa
They work along other workshop participants improving coexistence, recovering old habits and creating home-made products.
- Pere Barnés home team
They give a residential space to homeless people and to those who have frail health, with the wish they can recover mentally and physically.
- Hospital team
They give logistical and practical support to people who are linked to the entity where they are signed in. They are also concerned about their relocation once they recover from their their hospitalisation.
- Residence team
They accompany people who have been assisted by Arrels so they can have access to a proper home according to their needs to make their settlement easier.
- Juridical care team
They give advice and deal to people who are linked to the entity, denounce cases of discrimination or violence, revise the rules related to homeless people and manages the legal aspects of the entity.
- Psychological support team
They provide individual and group therapy for people who live or have lived on the street and who are linked to the entity.
Awareness and political action
This represents some 10% of Arrels’ budget.
- Communications and awareness team
Their task is to inform and sensibilize citizens and mass media about the problems of homelessness, Arrels’ labour and how to collaborate to make our goal possible #nobodysleeepingonthestreet.
- Social and political incidence team
They work online with other entities and administrations to revise and improve the social policies currently in place.
Internal management and voluntary work
This department makes up the entity’s structure and represents 12% of Arrels’ budget.
- Internal management team
They work on different areas -computing, human resources, associates and donors, administration and finances- to guarantee the proper functioning and the continuity of the entity.
- Maintenance team
They work to keep in good conditions every center of the entity: the open center, the Pere Barnés home, La Troballa workshop, Flat Zero, the Sant Antoni flat and individual and shared flats of the entity.
- Voluntary work management team
Their task is to coordinate one of Arrels’ mainstays: volunteers from different spaces and services, their tasks and their needs.
Senior management team
Arrels’ senior management team gives support to the director in taking executive decisions on behalf of the entity. They always focus on the mid and long term.
It is composed of:
- Mariano Torralba, who lived on the street.
- Alfredo Pascual, who lived on the street.
- Xavier Gimferrer, volunteer.
- Esther Meya, volunteer.
- Paola Contreras, who is in charge for the voluntary work management.
- Ester Sànchez, who is in charge for the person’s supporter team.
- Marta Pulgar, who is responsible for the communications team.
- Ramon Noró, who is responsible for the political and social incidence.
- Beatriz Fernández, who is responsible of the internal management team.
- Ferran Busquets, Arrels’ director.
Patronage is the most responsible executive body of Arrels. They are in charge of drawing the strategic lines on the mid and long term for Arrels. The body is composed of people from different professional areas. They look after every action so they follow their mission, the vision and the entity’s values.
Currently it is composed of:
- President: Josetxo Ordóñez.
Lawyer, lecturer of the department of Applied Economics in the UAB and member of the Plataforma d’Entitats Cristianes amb els Immigrants.
- Secretary: Agnès Marquès.
Journalist, currently at RAC1.
- Spokesperson: Mª Carmen de la Fuente. Director of the Fundació Migra Studium.
Coordinator of the entities of the Social Area of the Companyia de Jesús en Catalunya.
- Spokesperson: Enric Gotanegra.
He was an Arrels’ worker in the care team of associates and donors and currently he is a volunteer in the entity’s street team.
- Spokesperson: Eduard Sala.
Graduate in the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters and social educator. Currently, he is a coach, a trainer, and he is in charge of the Área Social de Cáritas Diocesana de Barcelona.
- Spokesperson: Maria Iglesias.
Graduate in Administration and Business Management. Currently, she is the director of employability of the Fundació Nous Cims.