Practical information

What to do if you live on the street in Barcelona?

  • However long you’ve been on the street for, you can ask for help at Barcelona City Hall’s Social Integration Service (SIS). This municipal service specifically attends to adults who live on the street. 
    • Address: Paseo Pujades 29, Barcelona | Metro L1 – Arc de Triomf
    • Hours: From Monday to Friday, 8:00-14:00. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, they’re also open from 16:00 to 19:00.
  • If you’re a foreigner, live on the street and have been living in Spain for less than two years, you will be directed towards the Care Service for Immigrants, Emigrants, and Refugees (SAIER). They offer guidance about residence permits and work, nationality, etc… You must make an appointment, which may be weeks or months later.
    • Address: c / Tarragona, 141 | Metro L3 Tarragona
    • Hours: From Monday to Friday, 9:00-13:00.
  • If you are living on the street and need guidance:
    • We can attend to you via telephone at 938 29 58 55 (from Monday to Friday, 9:30-13:30 and 16:00-19:30).
    • You can also come to the Arrels open center and we can attend to you face-to-face.

Are you at risk of living on the street?

  • If you live in Barcelona and will be kicked out of your residence shortly (days, weeks or months), immediately contact social services in your neighborhood. If you have already gone to social services, for some reason have not found a response and the day of eviction arrives, call the Barcelona Social Emergencies Center (CUESB).
  • If you live in Catalonia but far from Barcelona, go to the social services center that corresponds to you. To know where to find your social services center, you can call 012.
  • If your problem has to do with a situation of gender violence, call 016.
  • If you are not registered, talk with the social services in your neighborhood or municipality. If you are a foreigner and don’t have documentation, you can ask for advice at the Care Service for Immigrants, Emigrants, and Refugees (SAIER).
  • Keep in mind: Check that you have all of the documents in order (DNI or passport, health card and, if you have it, the Padrón). Make an emergency kit with your most necessary things and look for someone that can protect them for you.

What to do if you live on the street in another municipality

  • Contact City Hall or look at what social services correspond to you in order to explain your situation. If you are not registered, you can ask them to facilitate the procedure even while living on the street. It’s important to demonstrate that you live in a municipality, in a permanent way, in order to process aid.
  • If you need advice, you can contact the telephone guidance service through Arrels > 93 829 58 55 (from Monday to Friday, 9:30-13:30 and 16:00-19:30).

Have you been the victim of a crime or assault?

If you have been the victim of an assault, threat, insult or discriminatory situation by the fact of living on the street, remember that you have the right to file a report, be advised and protect yourself. 

  • You can contact the team of lawyers at Arrels and ask for legal guidance > 635 43 94 00 (you can use Whatsapp).
  • You can also appeal to other services in Barcelona.